Oscar Wilde used to say, “work is easy, fun is hard.” As an entrepreneur, I’m sure you can relate. With your small business, you know what you have to do. That’s the easy part. You have deadlines, routines–daily tasks to tackle. But giving yourself permission to take a day off – a real, full day off – now that’s a tough one for entrepreneurs.
But here’s the thing: Taking a day off could make you smarter. Like any other muscle, our brains need down time in order to work at its highest potential. Want proof? Remember the last time you were burning the midnight oil, trying to figure out the solution of a weighty problem? You were tired and hungry and the more you tried to come up with an answer, the more frustrated you became? So you walked away. Or you ran away. And you slept on it. The next morning, you sat down at your desk and there it was – in black and white — the answer staring back at you.
You + Sleep = Problem solved.
Still need more proof? When did you come up with your last brilliant idea? When you were behind your computer screen or on that leisurely stroll through the park?
Taking a break = You — smarter.
The truth is, we are far more creative when we don’t push our brains to the limit.
According to research from Scientific American, “Downtime replenishes the brain’s stores of attention and motivation, encourages productivity and creativity, and is essential to both achieve our highest levels of performance.”
Well, with Canada Day just a few days away, what better time to test the theory?
Here are some things you can do on July 1, instead of working:
- First: Sleep in.
- Visit one of Canada’s national parks. To celebrate Canada’s 148th birthday, admission is free to all national parks and historic sites all day July 1.
— Parks Canada (@ParksCanada) June 25, 2015
- Check out what’s going on at a museum near you. Lots of celebrations planned. At the Canada Aviation and Space Museum, you can meet the Snowbirds!
— #AvSpaceMuseum (@avspacemuseum) June 25, 2015
- Dress in red and white and head to the Capital for a ton of fun activities.
- What’s more Canadian than a beer festival on Canada Day? Here’s the scoop on a few we located: Canada Day Craft Beer Fest, Calgary, AB; Fredericton Craft Beer Festival, Fredericton, NB; and the Urban Craft Beer & Food Festival, Edmonton, AB
- If you’re on the west coast, there are parties and parades and celebrations galore.
- And if you’re anywhere in the country, pack a picnic, grab some friends, and scout out a space on the lawn for an evening of fireworks.
For long-term success, give your brain a (much-needed) break, and have a wonderful Canada Day, entrepreneurs!
Keith Arkle – Keith Arkle – Product specialist and customer advocate
Keeping our customers at the forefront of my mind is always a priority in my work. In talking about our product and preparing product launches, I always want to make sure our messaging is consistent and accurate. When I’m not working, I am probably hanging at home or travelling with my wonderful family.